Musculoskeletal ailments are injuries and difficulties that affect the human body movement or the musculoskeletal system including muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, discs and blood vessels. The most common musculoskeletal disease is Arthritis. The arthritis treatment Ayurveda provides helps the patient lessen the devitalizing effec ts of the condition and limit it from getting worse.
Common musculoskeletal disorders are:
- Knee Joint pain
- Neck & Shoulder pain
- Frozen Shoulder syndrome
- Disc prolapse
Over the years, the role Ayurveda treatment plays in helping people with MSD has developed prominently and hence can be termed a successful remedy for the ailment. Ayurveda puts emphasis on understanding the ailment in detail like cytological factors, imbalanced Dosha (Biological humour), and digestive fire after a thorough examination of both body and mind of the client. The knowledge imparted by Ayurveda allows for the identification and treatment of the many intricacies within injuries or any illnesses.
Initial symptoms of the musculoskeletal disease are pain, stiffness, swelling, limited range of motion, weakness, fatigue, and lowered physical function. Muscular disorders transpiring in the loss of function of a certain group of muscles can lead to a condition called muscular atrophy.
Another common medical condition is neck pain or cervical pain. It can be caused by a number of disorders. Most commonly it is caused due to neck strain, osteoarthritis, herniated disc, spondylosis, degenerative disc disease or a pinched nerve. Neck pain treatment in Ayurveda is based on the root cause of the pain. If the reason for pain is found to be muscle spasm due to strain caused by posture, it responds effectively to ayurvedic medications and if required, massages are carried out.
When the doshas get impaired due to contributory factors, it gets accumulated in the neck area and produces neck pain. The symptoms of pain depend on the dosha predominance in the area. For example, during the predominance of Kapha dosha, stiffness in the neck is usually observed. Whereas cases where Pitta dosha is dominant, the patient might be experiencing a burning sensation, and when it comes to Vata dosha predominance, numbness or severe pain are often observed.
Having gathered all the necessary data, therapies are customized depending on the heath of the patient and severity of the condition. Various treatment plans include treatments like:
- Marma Massages (specialised massage with energy point stimulation)
- According to Ayurveda, there are 107 marma points / vital points in the human body. The prana flowing in our body is connected to marma channels. Blockages in the flow of prana or our life force result in physical and mental ailments. Marma massages are the ancient form of treatment to revitalize our organs and tissues while addressing energy blockages at the locations.
- Kashayadhara (decoction bath)
- Herbal oil, medicated buttermilk or oil decoction is poured over the forehead and the body for a particular duration of time over a steady stream while sustaining the height and rhythm. A gentle massage accompanies the steady kashayam flow. It lets the patient perspire which is quite relaxing for them. This treatment is effective in treating various inflammatory conditions as well as the removal of toxins from the body.
- Pizhichil (Oil bath)
- Also known as “Thailadhara”, it helps promote blood circulation and toxin expulsion from the body by pouring warm medicated oil from head to toe. Pizhichil is considered the king of panchakarma therapies owing to the fact that it is a culmination of the two types of therapies – Snehana & Swedana.
- Different set of Kizhis (Bundle bag massage- Podikizhi, Elakkizhy, Njavarakkizhy)
- Kizhi massages are efficient in pain management and stress reduction. Various types of materials are used to prepare the kizhi’s and are prescribed based on the type of ailment the body is suffering from. It is used in treatments that are addressing Vata vitiation for which it produces dry heat for intensified Vata.
- Podi kizhi – Uses dry and powdered herbs.
- Ela kizhi – Raw herbs especially roots and leaves.
- Navara Kizhi – a special type of rice called Navara is used in the preparation of the kizhi.
- Manal kizhi – Kizhi fille with sand particles.
- Vasthy (Medicated enema)
- Followed by the kizhi treatments, vasthy is provided which helps to reduce the muscle stiffness and inflammation and joints and ease the movement and reduce pain symptoms.
- Therapeutic Yoga helps to maintain the healing achieved and sustain muscle as well as bone health.
- It is a deeply meditating experience. It is especially effective for those who are recovering or living with any sort of injury or illness. It is the form of streamlined yoga where yoga techniques are incorporated to help relieve physical, spiritual and mental difficulties.
Duration: 2-3 weeks as per the condition of the patient and duration of diseases.