Skin is a vital part of our body health and well being. Our skin integrates the whole body “under one roof”. Lack of internal equilibrium manifests through the skin. Skin diseases indicate that something is wrong inside the body. Skin disorders can vary depending on the area and intensity of the disease. One of the most frequently sought cures is Psoriasis treatment in Ayurveda.
Some of the common skin diseases are
- Pimples and skin blemishes
From an Ayurvedic perspective, the underlying cause of skin diseases is improper diet and lifestyle. If you pursue a diet or lifestyle that goes against your nature (Prakriti) you can develop a bodily imbalance that gives rise to skin disorders.
The skin is the first defence system of our body. It protects us from microbial elements, plays a significant role in regulating body temperature, allows the sensations of heat, cold and touch. For a person to have skin conditions, there may be more than one factor leading to it. It can be due to allergies, genetic makeup, irritants, immune system disorder, or certain diseases.
Allergies are a collection of conditions arising due to the hypersensitivity of a human immune system to certain objects. Common allergic symptoms are redness of the eyes, swelling, sneezing, itches and rashes, runny nose and shortness of breath. For Ayurveda allergies treatment, the usual practice is to eliminate the pent up toxins in the body.
Apart from allergies, yet another reason for having flushed skin is hypertension. It is identified as ‘Rakta dhathu dosha’ or imbalanced/impure blood. For hypertension treatment, a combination of herbal remedies along with physical treatments are considered. Nasya is an effective treatment in curing the difficulties posed by allergies. Hypertension is found to be asymptomatic in most cases but the risk factors range from a sedentary lifestyle, age and other medical conditions.
According to ayurvedic concepts, Raktha dhathu and Rasa dhathu combines together to nourish the skin. It has been observed that the people of pitta dominance are prone to skin conditions as opposed to Kapha and Vata dominant people. Raktha dhathu imbalance occurs due to consumption of hot food, alcohol, exposure to the sun or extreme work conditions. A pitta imbalance results in heating of the blood thereby disturbing the balance of the raktha and rasa dhathus. The skin of a pitta dominant person is freckled and reddish. It gets influenced easily by heat.
Similarly, for a Kapha dominant person, the skin is oily and the chances of getting whiteheads and blackheads are higher. For a Vata dominant person, the skin is observed to be extremely dry and prone to premature ageing of the skin. The Ayurveda skin treatments are aimed at assisting with detoxification and cleansing it properly from the inside.
The ayurvedic skin treatment includes:
- Lepas (herbal packs) – aimed at improving the skin texture and boost skin quality.
- Udwarthanam (Herbal peeling therapy) – It is a special therapeutic dry deep tissue massage aimed at toning and exfoliating the skin, improves the complexion of the skin, reduces fat tissue, and cleanses the skin by removing toxins and other impurities.
- Kashaya Dhara (decoction bath) – A type of Shirodhara where the type of decoction used for Dhara is kashaya which is known to reduce Vata doshas.
- Pizhichil (oil bath) – It is a form of oil massage that combines two treatment practices of Snehana & Swedana. It is considered the best ayurvedic practice to strengthen the muscles, manage stress disorders and rejuvenate the skin among the many advantages it offers.
- Ksheeradhara (Milk bath) – It is a relaxation treatment, It stimulates proper blood circulation and mind relaxation along with lubricating the joints, it also helps relieve muscle spasms and stiffness.
- Khadirarishta : It is a medicine that helps deal with early signs of leprosy and skin diseases, Removes coloured spots and patches and itches, Smoothens the skin, It is renowned for its blood purifying properties.
- Pindataila : It is known as the most effective oil for over the body application to help remove vata rakta from the body which in turn hep cure leprosy, other skin diseases and cracks in the soles of the feet.
- Sarivadhya Leha : Known for being an effective blood purifier, it is used extensively in the treatment of various skin diseases. It helps increase blood, and cures bile. It is also an effective medicine for malnutrition and promotes health.
These treatments and herbal medicines help cleanse, and nourish the skin layers and regain the glow of the skin. Detoxification liver cleansing (Virechana) followed by herbal mixtures to purify the blood gives permanent support in healing achieved through the treatments.
All the aforementioned nourishing treatments help improve the skin to a new level which is a result of a transformed lifestyle with healthy practices that started with toxin removal.
Duration: 2-3 weeks as per the condition of the patient and duration of diseases.